From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Unused ebuild built_with_use cleanup
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 18:46:48
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 27 October 2009 09:09:48 Petteri Räty wrote:
3 >> Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 >>> On Tuesday 27 October 2009 02:07:02 Ryan Hill wrote:
5 >>>> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 11:48:39 +0200 Petteri Räty wrote:
6 >>>>> James Cloos wrote:
7 >>>>>> When you first psoted this list I noticed some (or several?) live
8 >>>>>> ebuilds. Git-9999 is the one I remember.
9 >>>>>>
10 >>>>>> Those should not get nuked during global cleanups, as they are likely
11 >>>>>> to be in active use notwithstanding their keywording or masking.
12 >>>>> Their maintainers should be active and switch their ebuilds to EAPI 2.
13 >>>>> If they don't have an active maintainer, then do we want to keep live
14 >>>>> ebuilds for them around?
15 >>>> Your stated goal was to remove unused ebuilds, which live ebuilds are
16 >>>> not, regardless of the status of the maintainer. And I'm pretty sure
17 >>>> git has an active maintainer. :P
18 >>> indeed. you really should file bugs for these instead of deleting
19 >>> ebuilds on people who missed a thread on gentoo-dev.
20 >> All developers are required to follow gentoo-dev-announce. If they don't
21 >> follow that, it can't be expected for them to follow bugzilla either.
22 >
23 > that's a poor excuse. file bugs instead of tromping on other people's
24 > packages since you clearly have a list of ebuilds you shouldnt be removing and
25 > you dont intend to fix. i doubt Ryan's example of git-9999 is the only one.
26 > -mike
27
28 Normally old versions are not kept around as already said if you read
29 the thread. Live ebuilds shouldn't really have been in the original list
30 with my intended logic. For them I will usually just migrate them to
31 EAPI 2 like with other packages we have been touching. Using a tracker
32 bug makes sense if you expect some action from individual maintainers
33 which is not the case here as they can just leave the job to people
34 nuking built_with_use like me.
35
36 Regards,
37 Petteri