From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dealing with XDG directories in ebuild environment
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 06:37:15
1 [Replying again since my mailer messed up my original message.]
2
3 On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 12:03 -0500, Mike Gilbert wrote:
4 > Option 3: Unset the variables
5 >
6 > This should cause applications to default to locations under ${HOME}.
7 > This could be done in global scope (unless I am overlooking something
8 > in PMS), and so it would not require consumers to invoke anything
9 > explicitly.
10
11 Only those applications that properly comply with standards :)
12
13 For instance, glib did not start respecting ${HOME} until version 2.36
14 if I remember right; before that, unset XDG_* variables would cause
15 g_get_user_cache_dir() etc. to fall back to something under /root/ no
16 matter where ${HOME} pointed. Which is the main reason why
17 gnome2_environment_reset() was created.