From: David Leverton <levertond@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 23:22:27
1 On 14 March 2012 22:51, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
2 > Oh, that's simple, separate-/usr-without-initramfs will not work and
3 > will not be supported :)
4
5 See, it's this "we're doing it this way because we know best and we
6 say so" that upsets people. I'm trying to encourage everyone to get
7 to the core reasons for having a separate /usr in the first place (not
8 all of which are guaranteed to be mentioned on any specific wiki
9 page), and logically analyse the potential disadvantages of using an
10 initramfs in each situation. It may turn out that there are no
11 disadvantages after all, but the analysis is still important, not only
12 to make sure that "we"'re making the right decision, but also to
13 persuade everyone else that it's the right decision.
14
15 > Again, the fact that it works for some people today is pure luck, and
16 > odds are, it really isn't, but it's really hard to determine this given
17 > that the init system they are using doesn't provide a good feedback loop
18 > for this type of thing.
19
20 Maybe it would be worth improving the init system to do so? Or maybe
21 it wouldn't because using an initramfs is easier and has no drawbacks,
22 but see above.