From: Matthias Schwarzott <zzam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Adding /etc/udev/rules.d/ to CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 20:09:20
1 On Freitag, 31. August 2007, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 > > On Friday 31 August 2007, Marius Mauch wrote:
6 > >> Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
7 > >>> Matthias Schwarzott kirjoitti:
8 > >>>> On Freitag, 31. August 2007, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
9 > >>>>> What do you think about adding /etc/udev/rules.d/ to
10 > >>>>> CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK. This will no longer bother the user with
11 > >>>>> updating these files. Thus it will reduce the number of bugs
12 > >>>>> triggered by forgotten config-file updates.
13 > >>>>>
14 > >>>>> If user needs home-brewn rules he is requested to add own files,
15 > >>>>> and not use the already existing ones.
16 > >>>>
17 > >>>> Only problem I see: What to do with people having custom
18 > >>>> modifications inside the default rules-files?
19 > >>>
20 > >>> Can they add /etc/udev/rules.d back to CONFIG_PROTECT in make.conf?
21 > >>
22 > >> No, that wouldn't work. However they could add '-/etc/udev/rules.d' to
23 > >> CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK or add individual files to CONFIG_PROTECT.
24 > >
25 > > either solution sucks
26 > >
27 > > the question is, should people be modifying the default rules ? is there
28 > > something in the default rules file that they cant accomplish in a sep
29 > > rules file ? if so, then the dir cant be masked ...
30 >
31 > I find the persisten-net-generator.rules particularly annoying
32 > (for various reasons including, but not limited to system images
33 > and system cloning).
34 >
35 > So I have an empty file of that name and happily nuke whatever
36 > comes along with udev updates. I could of course unmask that
37 > file if it were to be masked in the future.
38 >
39 > Still, this reeks of layers upon layers of customization to me.
40 > I'd prefer a more elegant solution - although know of none. The
41 > classic approach would be a USE flag to toggle installation of
42 > the shipped udev files - which wouldn't work for me, as I only
43 > have gripes about *one* of them.
44 >
45 > There probably simply isn't a simple, elegant solution that is a)
46 > not wrong and b) works for just about everybody.
49 If your only regard is disabling persistent-net stuff you also can archive
50 this without need to modify any files.
51
52 1. For almost all decisions udev does it is possible to overwrite them later,
53 or assign a value with := instead of = before.
54 2. In special case of persistent-net: 75-persistent-net.rules does only catch
55 a devices if no name is set at that point, that means it can by bypassed
56 simply be doing this in some rule-file before:
57
58 SUBSYSTEM=="net", NAME="%k"
59
60 We have already thought about adding a config option to disable
61 persistent-net, but we have not yet find a nice (from developer and user
62 view) solution.
63
64 3. If there are annoyances in udev-rules, please inform us about this. We
65 might have some kind of hardware, but there are lots of different possible
66 configurations we have no idea of, so please bug us (best with solution ;) ).
67
68 Matthias
71 Matthias Schwarzott (zzam)
72 --