From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ulm@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] enable verbose build whenever it's possible
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 17:05:41
1 On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 12:05:15 +0100
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >>>>> On Sat, 05 Nov 2011, Kacper Kowalik wrote:
5 >
6 > > I'd like to ask that we enable verbose building by default. I have
7 > > cmake-utils.eclass in mind, because it's dead easy there, but
8 > > there's a lot of packages that support things like "make V=1" or
9 > > "make VERBOSE=1" too.
10 >
11 > > I've seen too many bugs reports today that gave me cute, colorful
12 > > build.logs and almost no information about underlaying bug...
13 >
14 > In fact, there's already bug 379497 [1] open for this. Some build
15 > systems might use the variable V for something else, so adding
16 > --disable-silent-rules may be the safer solution.
17
18 Yeah, please use the correct configure opt rather than throwing in
19 random makevars.
22 Best regards,
23 Michał Górny