From: Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Wishlist: an automated package upgrade system with fine-tunable sysadmin control
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:36:06
1 On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:30:35 -0400, Kevin wrote:
2
3 > Jean-Francois Gagnon Laporte wrote:
4 >> On 4/26/06, Kevin <lists@×××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> What I really want is to make the process of maintaining Gentoo boxes
6 >>> over the long term easier (IOW: less time-consuming) than is now true,
7 >>> by adding some functionality that AFAICT does not now exist which would
8 >>> allow me to automate some things, turn off automation of other things,
9 >>> and as the sysadmin, have control over what those things should be. In
10 >>> my mind at least, the central theme in Gentoo of choice dovetails nicely
11 >>> with what I'm trying to describe here: control and choice that is highly
12 >>> fine-tunable by the owner of the box in regards to package upgrades.
13 >>
14 >> Have a look at GLCU (http://www.panhorst.com/glcu/). Might not be the
15 >> perfect solution for your needs but it might help. Tools like this
16 >> one, /etc/portage and a private overlay for testing and/or pinning
17 >> would be pretty usefull for you right now. Might want to check GLEP 19
18 >> IIRC for the enterprise tree idea.
19 >
20 > Thanks very kindly for your reply and pointer, Jean-Francois!
21 >
22 > -Kevin
23
24 PMFJI. It seems you want the best of both worlds, and as such are asking a
25 lot! I fully understand your desire, but IMHO, you can come very close,
26 but never achieve your stated goal. FWIW, here's what I do.
27
28 I have a daily cron job which simply does:
29
30 emerge -puNDvt --nospinner world >/home/${MAILTO}/emerge.log
31
32 Then, if there is something I don't want to emerge, or a trivial -r?
33 revision to an ebuild I don't want, I mask it. For example, recently, gcc
34 went from 3.4.5 to 3.4.5-r1. To me, the change was unnecessary. So I
35 masked it. There are ways, as previously noted to mask to the major or
36 minor version, or exclude revisions as well. The problem with that
37 approach is that a particular revision _COULD_ be important or useful to
38 you. However, when I do a package.mask entry, I normally use = and mask a
39 specific version. Using >= is dicey since you would miss an upgrade.
40
41 However, from the way I use gentoo, having an automated system would be
42 quite counterintuitive. Semi-automated? Sure thing. In any event, still
43 beats the $#^%@ out of RPMs!
44
45 Good luck.
48 Peter