From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New global USE flag: introspection
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 07:34:24
1 On Sunday 20 of June 2010 16:42:58 Arun Raghavan wrote:
2 > Hi folks,
3 > I'd like to propose a new global USE-flag: introspection.
4 >
5 > The purpose of the flag is to enable the building of GIR for the
6 > package using dev-libs/gobject-introspection. gobject-introspection is
7 > going to be quite important in upcoming GNOME releases, allowing for
8 > the automated generation of bindings for several languages.
9 >
10 > We already have 13 packages using this flag, with several more to
11 > come. The current description being used in packages' metadata.xml
12 > sucks - I'll put something more descriptive in the final flag.
13 >
14 > Any objections? I'll wait till Wed (June 23rd) before adding this if
15 > there aren't any.
16
17 I don't mind adding it as globally recognizable USE flag, I'd mind however
18 having it enabled by default in desktop/base profile. If Gnome needs it,
19 please enable it in gnome subprofile if you wish (apart from setting all
20 required USE deps in ebuilds), you can also use IUSE defaults for it which
21 would allow more fine grained control or if you or Gnome devs decided to drop
22 the idea at some point.
25 regards
26 MM