From: brett holcomb <brettholcomb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License Checking
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:00:55
1 I guess my concern is that Gentoo has struck an excellent
2 balance between keeping the free software philosophy and
3 making a distro that is usuable for cases when commerical
4 or non-free software has to be used. Now we have people
5 who want to Debianize Gentoo by at least forcing us to do
6 things to use "immoral licenses". If all the free
7 software people are so hot to worry about pure systems
8 then let them be the ones who have to do the work - don't
9 force it on us. If that's not acceptable then use Debian.
12 Having served my time as a windows
13 Admin/user/maintainer/etc I am a strong supporter of free
14 software but this inane insistance on creating a "pure
15 distro free from immoral licenses" is going to kill the
16 acceptance of Linux. People who have to make things work
17 aren't going to put up with it and will scratch distros
18 like that off the list of considerations. Do that to
19 Gentoo and a lot of users will find another distro.
20
21 So assume we make it so the rest of us have to do the work
22 to make Gentoo usable - will it stop with just having to
23 modify /etc/make.conf or once that is achieved what's next
24 - eliminate packages that are "immorally licensed" but are
25 necessary to make Gentoo usable because we don't believe
26 in the licenses . It appears choice is good except when
27 it doesn't agree with a political philosophy.
28
29 On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 03:40:15 +0000