From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: PROPERTIES=funky-slots
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 17:29:28
1 On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 10:16:42 -0700
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3 > I don't think the documentation forbids what these developers are
4 > doing.
5
6 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1
7
8 "This means that counting goes as follows: 1.0 (initial version),
9 1.0-r1, 1.0-r2, etc."
10
11 It's not illegal, but it's also not in line with how versions and slots
12 have interacted up until now.
13
14 > I think you implemented a nice heuristic for your users in your
15 > resolver that used to work because slots had a typical set of users
16 > cases and the heuristic performed well in those cases.
17 >
18 > Now people are occasionally using slots in a different way and your
19 > heuristic penalizes those cases. That sucks, but you might have to
20 > actually change your resolver because I don't think 'funky-slots'
21 > properties is going to garner much adoption.
22
23 You mean, instead of implementing trivial marking, which takes
24 developers a few seconds, you want to screw over users? I think that
25 says a lot about Gentoo's attitude...
28 Ciaran McCreesh