From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Support for multiple ABIs for amd64 (64bit,32bit) in multilib overlay
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 20:59:51
1 On Sunday 16 August 2009, Thomas Sachau wrote:
2 > Let me introduce a nice project, which was started by some users:
3 >
4 > Since the emul-linux-x86-* packages for 32bit libs for amd64 users are
5 > neither easy to maintain nor up-to-date, some users started to implement an
6 > eclass, which allows to build requested libs with additional 32bit support.
7 > Later i joined them and helped them improving it a bit, but it was and
8 > still is mainly their project, they do the main work keeping this overlay
9 > up-to-date.
10 >
11 > Also this overlay is a nice idea to drop emul-linux-x86-* packages, it
12 > either requires continual work or modification of many ebuilds in main tree
13 > to support this in long term. To avoid this, i took the original multilib
14 > portage patch from kanaka, adjusted it to the current portage code and
15 > added the ideas and code from the eclass version. The result is now a
16 > portage, which is able to build any ebuild with additional 32bit lib
17 > support.
18 >
19 > The current main regression are ebuilds and eclasses, which do not support
20 > this (e.g. perl modules and mysql).
21 >
22 > If anyone is interested:
23 >
24 > -for the eclass version, which is mainly maintained by users and is mainly
25 > intended to only replace the emul-linux-x86-* package: just add it via
26 > "layman -a multilib" (it should be pretty stable and mostly working).
27 >
28 > -for the portage version: It is also in the multilib overlay, but in a
29 > different branch called portage-multilib. To use this, you should read the
30 > instructions at [1] (doc/portage-multilib-instructions). This one should
31 > also mainly work, but there is probably a good amount of packages in the
32 > main tree, which may refuse to work with it.
33 >
34 > Bugreports: preferred way is #gentoo-multilib-overlay at irc.freenode.org,
35 > but we also have an alias, where you can contact us: multilib@g.o
36 >
37 > [1]: http://github.com/sjnewbury/multilib-overlay/tree/portage-multilib
38
39 Good work,
40
41 Unfortunately my 64 bit system is currently non-functional, but when it is
42 working again (when I replace parts) I'll try the portage stuff out.
43
44 Paul
47 Paul de Vrieze
48 Email: pauldv@g.o