From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, vapier@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] multiprocessing.eclass: doing parallel work in bash
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 22:51:19
1 On 06/02/2012 02:31 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 15:54:03 -0400
3 > Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> # @FUNCTION: redirect_alloc_fd
6 >> # @USAGE: <var> <file> [redirection]
9 > (...and a lot of code)
10 >
11 > I may be wrong but wouldn't it be simpler to just stick with a named
12 > pipe here? Well, at first glance you wouldn't be able to read exactly
13 > one result at a time but is it actually useful?
14
15 I'm pretty sure that the pipe has remain constantly open in read mode
16 (which can only be done by assigning it a file descriptor). Otherwise,
17 there's a race condition that can occur, where a write is lost because
18 it's written just before the reader closes the pipe.
19 --
20 Thanks,
21 Zac