From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Documentation licenses and license_groups
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 06:07:30
1 On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 22:00:57 -0500
2 Vincent Launchbury <vincent@×××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Duncan wrote:
5 > > Quickly checking wikipedia (without verifying further), I'm probably
6 > > thinking about a different license, but I had it in my head that
7 > > GPLv1 had a "no commercial use" clause (or allowed it), and that is
8 > > why it was no longer considered free software, as it impinged on
9 > > the user's freedom to use as they wish. Pending further research,
10 > > therefore, I'll just say I seem to have been mistaken.
11 >
12 > Looking in section 2b, it mentions that you must "[cause work
13 > containing GPL'd code..] to be licensed at no charge to all third
14 > parties... " (excluding warranty protection). This is most probably
15 > the issue, that you can't sell it. I hadn't realized this before.
16
17 Of course you can sell the software (as long as you distribute the
18 [perhaps] derivative sources), you just can't /license/ it for money.
19
20 Please look into the legal verbiage - you seem incredibly confused as
21 to what it all means and you're confusing the matter even more for
22 others.
25 jer