From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are tags just sets?
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 05:54:42
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 14:48:57 +0200
Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
> > That's something done by sets as provided by the package mangler, > > not something done by repository-specified sets. > > So we should provide separate copies of the same sets for each package > mangler?
You should avoid providing sets that are so complicated that they rely upon executing fancy code that maps to package manager APIs that are in no way stable, documented or guaranteed to work two weeks from now.
> Well, I think a simple specification saying 'all installed packages > which install to /usr/lib/foo' is much simpler to write and maintain > than a random number of package names.
Sure, and a *user* can have a set like that, specified on the command line. That's not something a repository should be doing though. Sets as provided by the repository are a subset of sets available to the user. -- Ciaran McCreesh