From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] the graveyard overlay
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 15:33:51
1 On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 10:11:45 -0500 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > I'm starting a new thread so this will be a completely separate
3 > discussion.
4 >
5 > On Fri, Jul 08, 2016 at 05:56:04PM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
6 > > On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 10:42:14 -0400 Rich Freeman wrote:
7 > > > On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
8 > > > >
9 > > > > Also there's some debate in IRC about whether or not these packages
10 > > > > should be lastrited or dropped to maintainer-needed. These forks are
11 > > > > not in good shape upstream, so I think it makes better sense to
12 > > > > p.mask/lastrite and then move them to the graveyard overlay when I
13 > > > > remove them from the tree in 30 days.
14 > > > >
15 > > >
16 > > > IMO the criteria should be whether they work or not. Not whether
17 > > > upstream is more or less active.
18 > > >
19 > > > If they're blockers on other work, by all means cull them. However,
20 > > > if the biggest problem with them is that they're using a few inodes in
21 > > > the repo, then they should probably stay.
22 > >
23 > > +1
24 > >
25 > > Best regards,
26 > > Andrew Savchenko
27 >
28 > There is also an overlay for packages that are removed from the official
29 > tree [1], and imo that is where old software should go if it doesn't
30 > have an active maintainer.
31 >
32 > I don't know why we haven't been using this, but using it more than we
33 > have makes a lot of sense.
34
35 When software is in the main tree, it is a subject of tree-wide
36 changes like GLEP 67 update, package moves and so on. In a
37 separated overlay it will be completely abandoned and it may create
38 inter-overlay dependencies issues (e.g. when A is an old
39 package from the tree and package B from some overlay depends on A,
40 so if A will move to graveyard, B will be broken).
41
42 I completely do not understand why having "old" software in tree is
43 a problem, if such software have no serious issues and is not
44 blocking major progress. If software _is_ sufficiently broken, then
45 indeed move it to graveyard.
46
47 As I said yesterday on IRC, one of the greatest virtues of Gentoo
48 is its ample spectra of packages available in the main tree. I do
49 not understand why it should be killed for nothing.
50
51 Best regards,
52 Andrew Savchenko