From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 03:03:11
1 On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 9:51 PM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Alternatively, this may introduce problems. So it seems like we're
4 > fixing something that isn't broken.
7 What problems are you anticipating, especially in light of the fact
8 that many distros actually do it this way already?
9
10 I don't really have a problem with making it optional or the default.
11
12 It can also be left up to the maintainers, and of course somebody
13 could even fork baselayout/etc if they wish and virtualize it in
14 @system. Most things in Gentoo don't actually require a consensus to
15 move forward, especially if they aren't defaults.
16
17 In any case, what is the point of this thread? If somebody wants to
18 implement a merged /usr what exactly is stopping them from doing so?
21 Rich