From: Bob Phan <bob@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sys-Cleanup after build complete
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:08:00
1 On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 07:25:02 -0700
2 Dave Lee <davel@××××××.com> wrote:
5 > Vitaly Kushneriuk wrote:
6 > > Your problem can be solved with sub-packaging. i.e. producing
7 > > more then one package from the same ebuild. like glibc and
8 > > glibc-devel. This feature is considered for the next generation of
9 > > portage (after 1.0 is out).
10 >
11 > Is there anybody else out there other than me who doesnt like this?
12 > my experience is with rpm based systems and I hate the proliferation
13 > of-devel packages and other subpackages. thats one thing I really like
14 > about portage is that I dont have to deal with that, I install a
15 > package and it comes with everything. I know there are advantages to
16 > having -devel and other subpackages like the rpm systems use, such as
17 Yes, I also agree that sub-packaging is a bad idea. But also, it would
18 be completely useless in a system where almost all software is compiled
19 from source. If you were to remove the devel packages after building a
20 particular app, portage would just have to re-emerge the devel package
21 again every single time you wanted to build something that depended on
22 the library in question. Devel packages only really apply to libraries,
23 and not apps, so yes, this would come up often. Imagine having to
24 re-emerge glib every time you wanted to install something. I don't
25 think that the few kilobytes you save from deleting a few header files
26 is really all that advantageous. RPM gets away with it because they're
27 packages are all precompiled and only need runtime dependancies. Let's
28 face it, the main reason we all use gentoo is because we really dislike
29 binary packages.
32 /*
33 * Bob Phan <bob@×××××××××.com,rphan@××××.com>
34 * Computational Chemistry Informatics
35 * Neurogen Corporation
36 * (203)488-8201 x4645
37 *
38 * To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.
39 */