From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: PROPERTIES=funky-slots
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 17:36:57
1 On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 10:16:42 -0700
4 > Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
5 >> I don't think the documentation forbids what these developers are
6 >> doing.
7 >
8 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1
9 >
10 > "This means that counting goes as follows: 1.0 (initial version),
11 > 1.0-r1, 1.0-r2, etc."
12 >
13 > It's not illegal, but it's also not in line with how versions and slots
14 > have interacted up until now.
15
16 I agree and I sympathize with your position.
19 >> I think you implemented a nice heuristic for your users in your
20 >> resolver that used to work because slots had a typical set of users
21 >> cases and the heuristic performed well in those cases.
22 >>
23 >> Now people are occasionally using slots in a different way and your
24 >> heuristic penalizes those cases. That sucks, but you might have to
25 >> actually change your resolver because I don't think 'funky-slots'
26 >> properties is going to garner much adoption.
27 >
28 > You mean, instead of implementing trivial marking, which takes
29 > developers a few seconds, you want to screw over users? I think that
30 > says a lot about Gentoo's attitude...
31
32 I don't think portage has the behavior that paludis does, so most
33 users are not likely to experience this particular problem. You know
34 as well as I that the marking isn't necessarily trivial. Its another
35 thing we have to document and train people to use. I don't think users
36 get 'screwed over' either.
37
38 It could be that instead of Gentoo tagging a bunch of ebuilds, you
39 just change your resolver heuristic a bit.
40
41 -A
44 > --
45 > Ciaran McCreesh