From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Rebooting the Installer Project
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 00:05:34
1 On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 10:51:00 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Dnia 2015-07-18, o godz. 12:01:48
3 > Matthew Marchese <maffblaster@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >
5 > > I have recently pressed the reboot button on the ol' Installer project. I've been able to talk to quite a few developers one-on-one via IRC concerning my plans. Most seem to be in support of Gentoo having a "official" installer (the biggest concern is appears to be how things will be implemented and the amount of features involved). This e-mail is to fulfill GLEP 39's request for comments (RFC), concerns, requests, etc. Since I'm a little new to the project I'm coming with a bit of ignorance; I know the previous Installer project fostered mixed feelings.
6 > >
7 > > If you'd like to review before replying you can see the Wiki page and find the source on GitHub: https://github.com/gentoo/stager
8 > >
9 > > To summarize I'm writing it in pure Python 3. It first will be able to create full backups (stage 4s) and recoveries. After that is finished I plan to move on to installations. There will potentially be a web interface UI for it. Others are free to create other front-ends; to me a web UI makes the most sense and would probably require the least deps.
10 > >
11 > > I'd like to hear it all so please speak your mind. Looking forward to hearing from you.
12 >
13 > On a semi-related note, I was thinking about doing a semi-related
14 > project :).
15 >
16 > I personally don't think Gentoo needs installer as-is. However, I think
17 > we'd really benefit from having some kind of helper scripts / checklist
18 > of tasks to be done prior to/after install.
19 >
20 > For example, you'd run 'check-my-install' script and it'd tell you what
21 > you likely forgot to set up :).
22
23 Maybe a bit off-topic, but occasionally I need a tool to "fast
24 install Gentoo and fine-tune it later". This happens quite often on
25 a new job box, oh during visits where I'm given a workstation and
26 3-4 hours to set it up before doing real work and so on.
27
28 The idea is to have binary-based Gentoo ready to work on general
29 common hardware with such software out of the box as fully-fledged
30 modern gui browsers (chromium, firefox), libreoffice, xterm,
31 screen, vim, compilers, ldap support and other dev tools. Set of
32 packages may vary, but the idea is that they should work out of the
33 box due to tight constrains on initial system configuration (boss
34 should see that I'm doing my job at the end of the day).
35
36 But afterwards I'd like to tune this setup in a usual Gentoo way:
37 configure kernel, USE flags, {C,CXX,F,FC,LD}FLAGS, select proper
38 alternatives and so on more or less accordant to the devmanual.
39
40 Self prepared catalyst build for general ~amd64 looks appropriate
41 to the task, but they require too much maintenance effort: each
42 update is a pain and quite time consuming and I need such images
43 only once or twice per year, but still I need them!
44
45 In the ideal world it would be nice to have such stage4 ebuilds
46 available to speed-up initial installation and configuration
47 process.
48
49 Best regards,
50 Andrew Savchenko