From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: spec draft for cross-compile support in future EAPI (EAPI-5)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 19:07:16
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 20:54:07 +0200
Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh schrieb: > > On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 20:16:39 +0200 > > Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote: > >> Since there is again no response at all, it seems like everyone is > >> ok with this, so i will propose to add this to the next council > >> agenda for EAPI-5 addition. > > > > Got a diff for PMS? > > Last time you only requested enough details for implementation, you > did not require a PMS diff, so i wrote more details for the > implementation. > > If you, Brian (for pkgcore) and zmedico accept this for EAPI-5, i > might look into creating a diff against PMS but until then, i dont > want to waste my time, especially since noone commented on the > implementation details or the technical details and any change would > require even more work to rework/adjust the PMS diff.
Here's the thing: I doubt the lack of feedback is down to everyone being happy with the proposal. I strongly suspect it's because people look at it and go "huh?". You've provided exactly the kind of information that no-one cares about (e.g. long lists of variable names, which will probably just come from a var in profiles), and none of what really matters. I think you'll get a better response if you write this up in GLEP form (i.e. motivation, examples etc) to describe to ebuild developers what's in it for them, and as a diff against PMS so that package mangler authors can work out exactly what you're saying. -- Ciaran McCreesh