From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: spec draft for cross-compile support in future EAPI (EAPI-5)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 19:07:16
1 On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 20:54:07 +0200
2 Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
3 > Ciaran McCreesh schrieb:
4 > > On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 20:16:39 +0200
5 > > Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> Since there is again no response at all, it seems like everyone is
7 > >> ok with this, so i will propose to add this to the next council
8 > >> agenda for EAPI-5 addition.
9 > >
10 > > Got a diff for PMS?
11 >
12 > Last time you only requested enough details for implementation, you
13 > did not require a PMS diff, so i wrote more details for the
14 > implementation.
15 >
16 > If you, Brian (for pkgcore) and zmedico accept this for EAPI-5, i
17 > might look into creating a diff against PMS but until then, i dont
18 > want to waste my time, especially since noone commented on the
19 > implementation details or the technical details and any change would
20 > require even more work to rework/adjust the PMS diff.
21
22 Here's the thing: I doubt the lack of feedback is down to everyone
23 being happy with the proposal. I strongly suspect it's because people
24 look at it and go "huh?". You've provided exactly the kind of
25 information that no-one cares about (e.g. long lists of variable names,
26 which will probably just come from a var in profiles), and none of what
27 really matters.
28
29 I think you'll get a better response if you write this up in GLEP form
30 (i.e. motivation, examples etc) to describe to ebuild developers what's
31 in it for them, and as a diff against PMS so that package mangler
32 authors can work out exactly what you're saying.
35 Ciaran McCreesh