From: James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Downgrading glibc?
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 22:44:30
1 >>>>> "MH" == Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o> writes:
2
3 MH> I've heard a colleague of mine debugged for 50(!) hours after moving
4 MH> some quite old application to some recent Linux before he replaced a
5 MH> memcpy by memmove, so this did ring some bells.
6
7 MH> However, now he said this was on Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS, having
8 MH> glibc-2.11, so this might have been unrelated indeed.
9
10 Check the archives of the glibc lists, as well as its bug db.
11
12 There has been quite a bit of discussion there on that issue.
13
14 It was added for sse3 some time ago; I beleive it was Intel engineers
15 who contributed it for sse3, showing that it was inedeed faster on their
16 chips to start at the high point and decrement the counter rather than
17 starting at the low point and incrementing.
18
19 The discussion in their lists does a better job of documenting the issue.
20
21 -JimC
22 --
23 James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6