From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Security <security@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Pre-GLEP: Security Project
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 02:55:39
1 On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 03/11/2017 11:23 PM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 >>
4 >> My point is that users must be informed about security problem, but
5 >> they still should have a choice. So it should be either a rule
6 >> "mask without removal" or clear guidelines when to remove a
7 >> package and when to not.
8 >
9 > At some point, of a package does not belong in the main tree due to
10 > security vulnerabilities, they can still be kept in an overlay by a
11 > respective project without it impacting other users. I'm not convinced
12 > that impacts the overall user experience of other Gentoo users.
15 Is there any reason that this can't be left to maintainer discretion?
16 The package is masked and clearly advertises its security issue. The
17 user can make an informed choice. Do we really need to force the
18 issue further? What is the benefit to Gentoo in doing so?
21 Rich