From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ACCEPT_LICENSE revisited
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:02:35
1 On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 10:53:43 -0500
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Monday 27 November 2006 10:48, Marius Mauch wrote:
5 > > Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > On Sunday 26 November 2006 18:38, Marius Mauch wrote:
7 > > > > Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
8 > > > > > is there a way in the new GLEP to say "never bother me with
9 > > > > > any license bullcrap" ? i made sure the current
10 > > > > > check_license() function respected the idea of "*" so that i
11 > > > > > can put this in my make.conf: ACCEPT_LICENSES="*"
12
13 looks to me like check_license() will effectively ignore '*' in
14 ACCEPT_LICENSE:
15
16 ...
17 local shopts=$-
18 local alic
19 set -o noglob #so that bash doesn't expand "*"
20 for alic in ${ACCEPT_LICENSE} ; do
21 if [[ ${alic} == ${l} ]]; then
22 set +o noglob; set -${shopts} #reset old shell opts
23 return 0
24 fi
25 done
26 ...
27
28 It then falls through to interactively requesting confirmation.
29
30 > > > > Not directly, you'd need to define a local license group
31 > > > > including all licenses (could automate that with a postsync
32 > > > > hook I guess) and use that in ACCEPT_LICENSE.
33 > > >
34 > > > in other words, your only proposed solution is a hack ?
35 > >
36 > > If you want to word it that way: yes.
37 >
38 > so why arent we providing a real solution ?
39
40 As I understand it, they're providing a solution that goes as far as it
41 can without violating the licenses themselves. So you'll be able to
42 specify all the licenses that don't require explicit acceptance at
43 installation (@NOT_MUST_HAVE_READ, in the glep proposal), you just won't
44 be able to say '*' to include the licenses that require explicit
45 acceptance as well. Since some licenses always have to be excluded,
46 allowing "*" would be misleading because it wouldn't be allowed to
47 match all licenses. Some of the licenses that can't be wildcarded or
48 grouped are the games licenses from ID Software, for example.
49
50 From Chris Gianelloni, earlier in the thread:
51 > We don't want to support ACCEPT_LICENSE="*" including the interactive
52 > licenses, since that *would* be skipping the requirements on the
53 > license. This has been discussed on the bug report, already
54 (re. bug #152593)
55
56 I think the sort of license text this is trying to address is:
57
58 > "YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ THIS AGREEMENT, YOU UNDERSTAND
59 > THIS AGREEMENT, AND UNDERSTAND THAT BY CONTINUING THE DOWNLOAD OR
60 > INSTALLATION OF THE SOFTWARE, BY LOADING OR RUNNING THE SOFTWARE,
61 > OR BY PLACING OR COPYING THE SOFTWARE ONTO YOUR COMPUTER HARD DRIVE
62 > OR RAM, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS
63 > AGREEMENT."
64
65 in particular the download & installation bits (loading, running being
66 user concerns, not sys-admin/portage concerns). IANAL so of course I
67 can't say whether the proposed rules are necessary and sufficient.
70 Kevin F. Quinn