Gentoo Logo
Gentoo Spaceship




Note: Due to technical difficulties, the Archives are currently not up to date. GMANE provides an alternative service for most mailing lists.
c.f. bug 424647
List Archive: gentoo-dev
Navigation:
Lists: gentoo-dev: < Prev By Thread Next > < Prev By Date Next >
Headers:
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@...>
Subject: Re: About what would be included in EAPI5
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 17:46:22 +0100
On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 18:41:51 +0200
Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
> > The :*/:= feature was designed to solve one specific problem: if a
> > user has foo installed, and foo deps upon bar, and bar:1 is
> > installed, and the user wants to install bar:2 and then uninstall
> > bar:1, will foo break? :* means no, := means yes.
> 
> And, wouldn't it be covered simply making that package not depend on
> any slot specifically?

Some people use "no slot" to mean "and it's fixed at build time", and
some use it to mean "and I don't care". We *could* just omit :*, and
use := for locking, but an explicit :* means someone has checked their
work (and can be verified by repoman) whereas no slot probably means
laziness.

> > I'm pretty sure the route Exherbo is going to take with this is very
> > different, and will involve souped-up USE flags that allow "parts"
> > of a package (such as its libraries) to be kept around, possibly
> > together with a special form of blocker that acts only upon
> > installed packages, with a strict post ordering. It's not going to
> > involve sub-slots, in any case.
> 
> Well, probably the problem is to predict when will that be really
> solved there :(

Naah. This is one of those things that requires developers to put quite
a lot of exta effort in to their packages in order to improve the
quality of experience for users, which means it's not going to be
suitable for Gentoo's development model.

-- 
Ciaran McCreesh
Attachment:
signature.asc (PGP signature)
Replies:
Re: About what would be included in EAPI5
-- Pacho Ramos
References:
About what would be included in EAPI5
-- Pacho Ramos
Re: About what would be included in EAPI5
-- Ulrich Mueller
Re: About what would be included in EAPI5
-- Pacho Ramos
Re: About what would be included in EAPI5
-- Ciaran McCreesh
Re: About what would be included in EAPI5
-- Pacho Ramos
Re: About what would be included in EAPI5
-- Ciaran McCreesh
Re: About what would be included in EAPI5
-- Pacho Ramos
Re: About what would be included in EAPI5
-- Ciaran McCreesh
Re: About what would be included in EAPI5
-- Pacho Ramos
Re: About what would be included in EAPI5
-- Pacho Ramos
Re: About what would be included in EAPI5
-- Ciaran McCreesh
Re: About what would be included in EAPI5
-- Pacho Ramos
Navigation:
Lists: gentoo-dev: < Prev By Thread Next > < Prev By Date Next >
Previous by thread:
Re: About what would be included in EAPI5
Next by thread:
Re: About what would be included in EAPI5
Previous by date:
Re: About using USE flags to pull in needed RDEPENDs being discouraged by devmanual
Next by date:
Re: About using USE flags to pull in needed RDEPENDs being discouraged by devmanual


Updated Jun 29, 2012

Summary: Archive of the gentoo-dev mailing list.

Donate to support our development efforts.

Copyright 2001-2013 Gentoo Foundation, Inc. Questions, Comments? Contact us.