List Archive: gentoo-dev
Note: Due to technical difficulties, the Archives are currently not up to date.
provides an alternative service for most mailing lists.c.f. bug 424647
recently I stumbled across a problem with mawk, which is apprearly
Ubuntu's default awk interpreter.
This brought the idea to my mind of adding a virtual for awk. Beside
the fact that we already have 3 awk interpreters in gx86 (gawk, mawk
and busybox awk), there are other ones like nawk and awka.
I had some discussions with spanKY on that topic in bug #415689, which
summarizes in the following:
- mawk is faster - useful for scientific purposes
- busybox awk could replace gawk on minimal systems
- more POSIX conform systems
- some awk code in the tree and portage is probably using GNU
extensions without executing gawk explicitly
- gray zone of Posix 1003.2 (e.g. substr() function and an index of 0)
What we would need:
- app-admin/eselect-awk (version available in cj-overlay)
- testing and migration of existing packages using gawk
to name a few.
I have tested mawk as default interpreter for a while on my x86 boxes
and didn't observed any problems so far.