Gentoo Logo
Gentoo Spaceship




Note: Due to technical difficulties, the Archives are currently not up to date. GMANE provides an alternative service for most mailing lists.
c.f. bug 424647
List Archive: gentoo-dev
Navigation:
Lists: gentoo-dev: < Prev By Thread Next > < Prev By Date Next >
Headers:
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Subject: Re: My wishlist for EAPI 5
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 01:25:32 -0400
On Wednesday 20 June 2012 16:25:30 Richard Yao wrote:
> Multilib (and/or multiarch) support

Thomas already has multilib documents put together for review.  multiarch 
doesn't make sense for us, and even if it did, there's no way it'd be spec-ed 
out in a reasonable time frame for EAPI=5 (or even 6 or 7 or ...).

> 	The current binaries cause a great deal of pain, particularly when a
> user does not want to upgrade something. I had this problem with WINE
> and glibc because I wanted to avoid the reverse memcpy() fiasco on my
> systems. This situation would have been avoided entirely if the package
> manager supported multilib.

i don't buy this argument and makes me think when you say "multilib", you 
don't actually mean "multilib".

> Automated epatch_user support
> 	Users should be able to test patches without modifying their ebuilds.
> This also saves developer time because we don't need to navigate the
> portage tree (or an overlay), make a change and test it. We could just
> dump the patch in the appropriate directory and build.

putting forth an idea is one thing.  working out the technical aspects is 
different.  this sounds like something destined for EAPI=6: currently, 
epatch_user uses epatch, and that provides a lot of dynamic patch support that 
doesn't fit well with being spec-ed out / encoded in PMS.

> Parallel make checks

SGTM

> POSIX Shell compliance
> 	There has been a great deal of work done to give the user full control
> of what is on his system and there is more that we can do there. In
> particular, I think a lean Gentoo Linux system should be able to use
> busybox sh and nothing else. That requires POSIX shell compliance.
> OpenRC init scripts support this and the configure scripts support this.
> The few exceptions are bugs that are addressed by the Gentoo BSD
> developers. As such, I think we should make EAPI=5 use POSIX shell by
> default. If an ebuild requires bash, we can allow the ebuild to declare
> that (e.g. WANT_SH=bash), but that should be the exception and not the
> rule.

not a chance, and your logic about "choice" really makes no sense in the 
ebuild context.  read the archives wrt Roy Maples (sadly) burning out for in-
depth details as to why this is a no-go.
-mike
Attachment:
signature.asc (This is a digitally signed message part.)
References:
My wishlist for EAPI 5
-- Richard Yao
Navigation:
Lists: gentoo-dev: < Prev By Thread Next > < Prev By Date Next >
Previous by thread:
Re: My wishlist for EAPI 5
Next by thread:
Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in x11-misc/lightdm: lightdm-1.2.2-r2.ebuild ChangeLog
Previous by date:
Re: grub:2 keywords
Next by date:
Re: My wishlist for EAPI 5


Updated Jun 29, 2012

Summary: Archive of the gentoo-dev mailing list.

Donate to support our development efforts.

Copyright 2001-2013 Gentoo Foundation, Inc. Questions, Comments? Contact us.