Gentoo Logo
Gentoo Spaceship




Note: Due to technical difficulties, the Archives are currently not up to date. GMANE provides an alternative service for most mailing lists.
c.f. bug 424647
List Archive: gentoo-dev
Navigation:
Lists: gentoo-dev: < Prev By Thread Next > < Prev By Date Next >
Headers:
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@...>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-arch/bzip2: bzip2-1.0.5-r1.ebuild
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 11:17:24 +0000 (UTC)
Dale posted on Tue, 07 Jun 2011 22:45:34 -0500 as excerpted:

> Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> On Tuesday, June 07, 2011 19:41:20 Dale wrote:
>>    
>>> I have a question or two.  I don't care if you, or others, reply to
>>> this with a answer, just think on it.  A policy, rule if you will, has
>>> been decided on by the council.  This after MUCH discussion on this
>>> list and the council hearing both sides of the argument.  You,
>>> apparently on your own or with a few others, have decided to ignore
>>> the policy or rule.
>>>      
>> umm, no, ive done no such thing.  try again. -mike
>>    
>>    
> Let me see if I understand this correctly.  Most devs and some users
> wants things put in the changelog.  I don't know if it was you before
> but in the past someone didn't want to put when versions are removed.
> That person, whoever it was, said they were not going to do it because
> it was silly or whatever.  This was taken to the council and it was
> decided that all changes had to be put in the changelog.  Now in this
> thread, about the same thing from my understanding.  You said "waste of
> time" and the policy is not "sane".
> 
> So, council says it has to be done.  You say you won't.  Tell me where I
> missed the point here.

Mike's actually correct.

He didn't say he was going to defy council, rather, that he simply 
wouldn't be removing ebuilds /at/ /all/ until either the changelog is auto-
generated (making the case moot) or the council changes policy.

That means they'll either fall to someone else to do, or will simply 
remain there, but either way, it's quite different from directly defying 
the council decision.

Gentoo devs are volunteers in any case, and as such, the system, to the 
degree that it works at all, does so because volunteers are (within 
reason) allowed to have their foibles and the system ultimately works 
around them.  Because everyone has their foibles and if "the system" 
couldn't work around them, "the system" would quickly cease to be!

-- 
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman



Replies:
Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-arch/bzip2: bzip2-1.0.5-r1.ebuild
-- Rich Freeman
References:
Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-arch/bzip2: bzip2-1.0.5-r1.ebuild
-- Mike Frysinger
Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-arch/bzip2: bzip2-1.0.5-r1.ebuild
-- Dale
Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-arch/bzip2: bzip2-1.0.5-r1.ebuild
-- Mike Frysinger
Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-arch/bzip2: bzip2-1.0.5-r1.ebuild
-- Dale
Navigation:
Lists: gentoo-dev: < Prev By Thread Next > < Prev By Date Next >
Previous by thread:
Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-arch/bzip2: bzip2-1.0.5-r1.ebuild
Next by thread:
Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-arch/bzip2: bzip2-1.0.5-r1.ebuild
Previous by date:
Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-arch/bzip2: bzip2-1.0.5-r1.ebuild
Next by date:
Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-arch/bzip2: bzip2-1.0.5-r1.ebuild


Updated Jun 29, 2012

Summary: Archive of the gentoo-dev mailing list.

Donate to support our development efforts.

Copyright 2001-2013 Gentoo Foundation, Inc. Questions, Comments? Contact us.