Gentoo Logo
Gentoo Spaceship

Note: Due to technical difficulties, the Archives are currently not up to date. GMANE provides an alternative service for most mailing lists.
c.f. bug 424647
List Archive: gentoo-dev
Lists: gentoo-dev: < Prev By Thread Next > < Prev By Date Next >
To: Jan Kundrát <jkt@g.o>
From: Christian Ruppert <idl0r@g.o>
Subject: Re: Bugzilla 4 migration
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 02:49:06 +0100
On 03/07/2011 01:00 AM, Jan Kundrát wrote:
> On 03/06/11 23:55, Christian Ruppert wrote:
>> our Bugzilla ( will be unavailable for the next hours.
>> We're going to migrate our old Bugzilla to Bugzilla-4.
>> We expect our update to finish within the next hours.
> (Private reply, as I don't feel like flaming you in public. Feel free to
> re-send to a public list, or quote, preferably as a whole.)
> Hi Christian,
> I wanted to ask if I missed the announcement of the migration. I tried
> to imagine a case which would force people to go ahead and perform such
> an action without informing the world about the downtime in advance, but
> failed to find one. So, did I miss the announcement, or was that a lapse
> on some guy's side, or is it something else which warranted a swift
> action? Anyway, I'm looking forward to a nice, upgraded bugzie.
> Hm, so before sending this mail, I checked my gentoo-dev archive, and
> the first e-mail about Bugzilla migration is roughly 12 hours old.
> That's very different from how Infra has handled any other migration in
> the past (apart from dealing with unexpected emergencies, of course). I
> realize I'm in the armchair position in this case, but this looks like a
> rather dangerous move. When you add the workflow change, I wouldn't
> stick with an announcement 12 hours in advance myself (I do sysadmin
> stuff as a day job).
> With kind regards,
> Jan

Hey Jan,

I know I didn't announce it properly. It was *my* "fault" but this is
also a special case IMO.
We decided to migrate just a few hours ago because robbat2 and me having
enough time to do it now, finally. We're waiting since about 2007 for
Bugzilla upgrades and it's now 2011 so I thought it's ok to do it now
instead of waiting another few months (probably) or longer until we both
have enough time again etc.

We're not going to change the workflow, at least not now. We only do
that if you guys decided about it.

Christian Ruppert
Role: Gentoo Linux developer, Bugzilla administrator and Infrastructure
Fingerprint: EEB1 C341 7C84 B274 6C59  F243 5EAB 0C62 B427 ABC8

signature.asc (OpenPGP digital signature)
Bugzilla 4 migration
-- Christian Ruppert
Lists: gentoo-dev: < Prev By Thread Next > < Prev By Date Next >
Previous by thread:
Bugzilla 4 migration
Next by thread:
Re: Bugzilla 4 migration
Previous by date:
Automated Package Removal and Addition Tracker, for the week ending 2011-03-06 23h59 UTC
Next by date:
Re: Bugzilla - New Default Status Workflow

Updated Jun 29, 2012

Summary: Archive of the gentoo-dev mailing list.

Donate to support our development efforts.

Copyright 2001-2013 Gentoo Foundation, Inc. Questions, Comments? Contact us.