From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-devhelp@l.g.o
Cc: "de Almeida, Valmor F." <dealmeidav@××××.gov>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devhelp] gdbm ebuild with 64bit off_t
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:17:18
1 On Friday 25 January 2008, de Almeida, Valmor F. wrote:
2 > > -----Original Message-----
3 > > From: Mike Frysinger [mailto:vapier@g.o]
4 > > Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:33 PM
5 > >
6 > > > Never dealt with ebuild files before; did some reading and then
7 > > >
8 > > > cd /usr/portage/sys-libs/gdbm/
9 > > > ebuild gdbm-1.8.3-r3.ebuild digest
10 > > > emerge gdbm
11 > > >
12 > > > Noticed that gcc now uses
13 > > >
14 > > > -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
15 > >
16 > > ok ... but does that solve your problem ?
17 >
18 > Yes, this does solve gdbm's problem. I tried the newly emerged gdbm and
19 > was able to create large data bases beyond the ~2GB file size limit. I
20 > generated 3.1GB databases and twice as large.
21 >
22 > Will the ebuild change be a part of future ebuild versions?
23 >
24 > I have exchanged e-mails with the gdbm maintainer and he said databases
25 > written with 32bit off_t will not be read/modified by gdbm when compiled
26 > with 64bit off_t.
27
28 that's because you're only changing how gdbm interfaces with the C library.
29 you arent changing the gdbm API/ABI.
30 -mike