From: Thomas Kahle <tom111@×××.de>
To: gentoo-devhelp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devhelp] epatch and svn
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:05:54
1 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 > 2009/11/16 Thomas Kahle <tom111@×××.de>:
3 >> Hi,
4 >> I am trying to make an ebuild that uses the subversion eclass.
5 >> This seems to disbehave when used with epatch.
6 >> The problem is that epatch directly works on the downloaded svn-sources
7 >> (in /usr/portage/distfiles/svn-src) When they have been patched once,
8 >> any future emerge will fail because the patch cannot be applied again.
9 >> What is wrong here?
10
11 > You should not use epatch in the svn repo (DISTDIR) itself. Patching
12 > should be done after copying the checkout to WORKDIR
13
14 Thats true. Actually all that was missing was
15 cd "${S}"
16 I (wrongly) assumed to be cd'ed to ${S} automatically.
17
18 > Take a look at the eclass [1,2]. Eclasses for live sources have there
19 > own patching facility.
20 > For the subversion.eclass this should be setting the ESVN_PATCHES variable.
21
22 Description of this variable says:
23 "List of patches to apply prior to fetching the sources". I find this
24 confusing. What can you patch before you have the sources?
25
26 > I guess this is because functions from the eutils and base eclass
27 > (which provide patching functions) are overwritten from the live
28 > source eclass and the other way round depending on the order of
29 > inheritance. If you do inherit subversion eutils bootstrapping is not
30 > available and if you do inherit eutils subversion epatch is not
31 > available. You can work around this by directly calling the function
32 > from the eclass but an own patching functionality in the live eclass
33 > is more convenient. At least this is my theory :)
34
35 Wait a minute. Now that I'm in the correct directory I source eutils
36 before subversion and still have epatch available...?
37 Thanks for theorizing in any case. Looking at the eclass helps a little.
38
39 cheers
40 Thomas
41
42 >> By the way, does an ebuild that uses subversion eclass need to state
43 >> dev-util/subversion in its dependencies??
46 > Again take a look in the eclass [1,2]. It sets subversion as dependency
47 >
48 > [1] http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/eclass/subversion.eclass?view=markup
49 > [2] $PORTDIR/eclass/subversion.eclass
54 Thomas Kahle
55
56 The fundamental theorem of algebra is open source. Like any other
57 mathematical theorem it can be applied free of charge and everybody
58 has access to its proof and can convince himself how it works. Why
59 should software be any different?