From: Thomas Kahle <tom111@×××.de>
To: gentoo-devhelp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-devhelp] ccache
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 10:11:12

Hi everyone,

i'm trying to write an ebuild and I experience problems with ccache
(only on this single package).
It seems as ccache somehow generates false positives on this one. After
changing the make options the program fails to build ("Declaration of
function not found"-like errors).
Deactivating ccache solves the problem.
I searched a little in Bugzilla, and there are some bugs where people
are arguing that ccache can or cannot create problems. So let me phrase
some clear questions:
**) Are there known issues with ccache? It seems to be stable and
untouched for several years already.
**) How can I filter the usage of ccache from inside the ebuild ?
**) Has anyone ever tried to use the same cache for 2 different versions
of the gcc ("share the cache")? Is it safe?

I first tried to share the cache, ran into the beforementioned trouble
and thought its because of the sharing. But after clearing the cache and
experimenting a little, I found that it seems to be related just to the
package. Its reproducible with a single compiler.

Any comments appreciated.
Thanks
Thomas