From: Thomas Kahle <tom111@×××.de>
To: gentoo-devhelp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-devhelp] preserved libs
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 08:33:46
Hi,

I am experimenting with the preserved libs feature of the latest portage.
I have an ebuild (sci-mathematics/Macaulay2 in the science overlay)
which builds a program depending on library A1.so.
Now A gets updated to A2.so but preserve libs is enabled, so portage
keeps a copy of A1.so and fills the set @preserved-rebuild.
Running emerge @preserved-rebuild rebuilds the package, but for some
reason the package again builds against A1.so, since configure checks
for the presence of A1.so.
After this rebuild A1.so will be removed and the program does not start.
Rebuilding it a second time, makes the cycle complete since now the only
version available is A2.so and everything is linked correctly.

So, where is the flaw?

Upstreams configure not finding the latest version ?
The ebuild ?
portage ?

Thanks.
Thomas

--
Thomas Kahle

The fundamental theorem of algebra is open source. Like any other
mathematical theorem it can be applied free of charge and everybody
has access to its proof and can convince himself how it works. Why
should software be any different?