From: Thomas Kahle <tom111@×××.de>
To: gentoo-devhelp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-devhelp] preserved libs
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 08:33:46
1 Hi,
2
3 I am experimenting with the preserved libs feature of the latest portage.
4 I have an ebuild (sci-mathematics/Macaulay2 in the science overlay)
5 which builds a program depending on library A1.so.
6 Now A gets updated to A2.so but preserve libs is enabled, so portage
7 keeps a copy of A1.so and fills the set @preserved-rebuild.
8 Running emerge @preserved-rebuild rebuilds the package, but for some
9 reason the package again builds against A1.so, since configure checks
10 for the presence of A1.so.
11 After this rebuild A1.so will be removed and the program does not start.
12 Rebuilding it a second time, makes the cycle complete since now the only
13 version available is A2.so and everything is linked correctly.
14
15 So, where is the flaw?
16
17 Upstreams configure not finding the latest version ?
18 The ebuild ?
19 portage ?
20
21 Thanks.
22 Thomas
25 Thomas Kahle
26
27 The fundamental theorem of algebra is open source. Like any other
28 mathematical theorem it can be applied free of charge and everybody
29 has access to its proof and can convince himself how it works. Why
30 should software be any different?