From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Cc: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] [Fwd: Re: RFC: etiquette enforcment]
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 13:43:59
1 On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 09:16 -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 13:13 +0200, Wernfried Haas wrote:
3 > > > Basically, my point is that Gentoo problems belong on Gentoo ML's. But
4 > > > personal conflicts don't. If a dev doesn't follow that common sense approach,
5 > > > then mob rule will prevail. ;-)
6 > >
7 > > Maybe i don't quite understand what you mean with mob rule, what
8 > > exactly would it do (e.g. in the example i mentioned above)?
9 >
10 > It wouldn't do anything. We have a nice, long list of "repeat
11 > offenders" that no matter how many times you tell them to be civil, they
12 > either can not, or more likely, will not, as they are aware that there
13 > are no consequences to their actions.
16 One possible consequence is that people get tired of the discussion and
17 quit responding. Presumably, as long as people are responding to each
18 other, they are interested in keeping the discussion going in the tone
19 they are using among themselves.
20
21 > Plain and simple, mob rule does not work if there are no "teeth" to
22 > actually enforce the rule.
23 >
24 Implicit in "mob rule", I think, is that it is self-regulating. If I am
25 misunderstanding, I ask Jason to clarify.
26
27 Regards,
28 Ferris
29 --
30 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
31 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)