From: Christel Dahlskjaer <christel@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-devrel] Proposal of Change to the Gentoo User Relations Project
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:21:49
1 Hi all,
2
3 It has been asked that I submit my Proposal of Change to Gentoo User
4 Relations Project to this mailing list, it was also asked that I submit
5 it RFC style! Now, writing RFC's is not something I've ever done, so I
6 hope you all bear with me.
7
8 Input is very much welcome.
9
10 And the proposal can be seen below.
11
12 Kind Regards,
13 Christel Dahlskjaer
19 RFC: Proposal of Change to Gentoo User Relations Project.
20
21 The following is a proposal for change to the User Relations Project.
22 The following proposal contains background on the needs for and
23 benefits of change to the project, an outline of the changes I think
24 should be made, my qualifications and a schedule. I look forward to
25 hearing your ideas on the scope of this proposal.
26
27 Need for Change
28
29 As the user base of Gentoo continues to grow, so does the need for
30 having a strong link between users and developers. Unfortunately the
31 User Relations project has fallen behind, and has lain dormant for quite
32 some time. The project needs organization and structure in order to best
33 serve the user/developer community and attract
34 potential project members from within the community. It is of course
35 understandable that when overworked/stressed we become less
36 communicative, and can respond in a more abrupt manner. As a developer
37 it is easy to get into a situation where you are stressed and where it
38 becomes easy to respond to a user in a less than desirable fashion.
39
40 Benefits of Change
41
42 1) Better communication and easier access to understandable
43 information produces happier users and developers.
44
45 2) Happy developers are more productive.
46
47 3) Happy users file fewer complaints
48
49 4) Better communication will ease the workload for developers
50
51 5) Better communication will make Gentoo more attractive to potential
52 new users and encourage continued user contribution.
53
54 My Qualifications
55
56 I have been a Linux user for 13 years. I have worked as a Registered
57 Mental Health Nurse for 4 years. I study towards a MSc in Forensic
58 Psychology. I have been involved with the Irssi project for 4 years. I
59 have been a volunteer staff member for Freenode (PDPC) for 1 year. I
60 have had various other volunteer positions over the past ten years.
61
62 Suggested Changes
63
64 * Communication - Review the current channels of communication
65 between users and users, and users and developers (focusing
66 in the start phase primarily on the two issues outlined below)
67 1. Bugzilla - Create a Bug Writing How-to to provide users with a
68 guideline for how to write bug reports, to ease the workload
69 for the developers and also to ensure that the users include
70 sufficient information with their bug report.
71 2. Bugzilla - Write and make available guidelines for how
72 to respond to a bug report in a useful manner. Ensure that
73 developers have the opportunity to look up how "it should be
74 done" should they feel unsure.
75
76 * Complaints - Review and rewrite the current complaints
77 procedure to ensure that users will find User Relations
78 approachable and thus will feel able to file
79 complaints if necessary. Ensure that a problem is always
80 looked at from both sides, and if the problem cannot be solved
81 by User Relations have a procedure in place for escalating to
82 an ombudsman.
83
84 * Stress - Ensure that there is an understanding of how
85 overwork/stress can affect the way we communicate with others.
86 Ensure there is a procedure in place for backup should the
87 need arise for a developer to not deal with users directly for
88 one reason or another. Ensure developers have the option to
89 "take time out" when needed. Ensure that users are dealt with
90 in an effective and friendly manner so not to cause any
91 unnecessary trauma for users.
92
93 * Recruitment - Work alongside Developer Relations to improve
94 the recruitment process, focusing on the process for reinstating
95 a returning developer to start with.
96
97 * User Relations - Review User Relations' role and find
98 other ways of improving Gentoo User Relations. Ensure that
99 User Relations are proactive rather than reactive and have a
100 good strong presence within the user community. Continously
101 encourage and listen to feedback from users and developers in
102 order to better understand the needs of users and developers,
103 and effectively cater to them.
104
105 In order to achieve this I intend to seek out input from users
106 and developers, possibly in the form of a survey as well as by
107 interacting with users/developers through the existing channels of
108 communication (forum, irc, mailing lists, e-mail, bugzilla, planet
109 gentoo etc). I intend to produce reports detailing my findings and what
110 changes I feel need to be made along with detailed plans of how
111 for User Relations can carry out the changes. I will address these
112 reports to Developer-Relations and make them available for input before
113 undertaking any work. When working towards deadlines we will always
114 ensure that the dead lines are realistic, as unrealistic deadlines are
115 often a source of stress.
116
117 For the above mentioned points I intend to ask for user and developer
118 input before creating any documents. I also intend to ask for input
119 during the process of creating these documents to ensure that noone
120 feels left out and to ensure that the end product is one that is
121 agreeable for most. I also intend to make available information on how
122 to deal with stress and heavy work loads and easy non-time consuming
123 techniques for relaxation.
126 gentoo-devrel@g.o mailing list