From: Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] [Fwd: Re: RFC: etiquette enforcment]
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:13:49
1 On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 12:51:23AM -0500, Jason Huebel wrote:
2 > So here's my proposal: mob rule. :-) If someone is truely out of line, I say
3 > we let the devs take their objections to private email to let the offending
4 > party know that their attitude is not acceptable.
5
6 Which is exactly what does not work - e.g. people replying back to
7 the ML even though a mail was sent in private. Most people would
8 consider this a breach of etiquette and even if they complain to the
9 guy who did it he still may continue not to care.
10
11 > But in ML's, we remain
12 > polite (maybe "civil" is a better word) and discuss the issue at hand-- even
13 > if the discussion is heated. I'm sure everyone agrees that public lists are
14 > not the place for personal attacks. Considering that this has always been
15 > the consensus, we should all be able to excerise some restraint and take
16 > personal issues to private email.
17 >
18 > Basically, my point is that Gentoo problems belong on Gentoo ML's. But
19 > personal conflicts don't. If a dev doesn't follow that common sense approach,
20 > then mob rule will prevail. ;-)
21
22 Maybe i don't quite understand what you mean with mob rule, what
23 exactly would it do (e.g. in the example i mentioned above)?
24
25 cheers,
26 Wernfried
29 Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne at gentoo dot org
30 Gentoo Forums: http://forums.gentoo.org
31 IRC: #gentoo-forums on freenode - email: forum-mods at gentoo dot org