From: George Prowse <cokehabit2003@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] Proposal of Change to the Gentoo User Relations Project
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 17:01:01
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Christel Dahlskjaer wrote:
5 > Hi all,
6 >
7 > It has been asked that I submit my Proposal of Change to Gentoo User
8 > Relations Project to this mailing list, it was also asked that I submit
9 > it RFC style! Now, writing RFC's is not something I've ever done, so I
10 > hope you all bear with me.
11 >
12 > Input is very much welcome.
13 >
14 > And the proposal can be seen below.
15 >
16 > Kind Regards,
17 > Christel Dahlskjaer
23 > RFC: Proposal of Change to Gentoo User Relations Project.
24 >
25 > The following is a proposal for change to the User Relations Project.
26 > The following proposal contains background on the needs for and
27 > benefits of change to the project, an outline of the changes I think
28 > should be made, my qualifications and a schedule. I look forward to
29 > hearing your ideas on the scope of this proposal.
30 >
31 > Need for Change
32 >
33 > As the user base of Gentoo continues to grow, so does the need for
34 > having a strong link between users and developers. Unfortunately the
35 > User Relations project has fallen behind, and has lain dormant for quite
36 > some time. The project needs organization and structure in order to best
37 > serve the user/developer community and attract
38 > potential project members from within the community. It is of course
39 > understandable that when overworked/stressed we become less
40 > communicative, and can respond in a more abrupt manner. As a developer
41 > it is easy to get into a situation where you are stressed and where it
42 > becomes easy to respond to a user in a less than desirable fashion.
43 >
44 > Benefits of Change
45 >
46 > 1) Better communication and easier access to understandable
47 > information produces happier users and developers.
48 >
49 > 2) Happy developers are more productive.
50 >
51 > 3) Happy users file fewer complaints
52 >
53 > 4) Better communication will ease the workload for developers
54 >
55 > 5) Better communication will make Gentoo more attractive to potential
56 > new users and encourage continued user contribution.
57 >
58 > My Qualifications
59 >
60 > I have been a Linux user for 13 years. I have worked as a Registered
61 > Mental Health Nurse for 4 years. I study towards a MSc in Forensic
62 > Psychology. I have been involved with the Irssi project for 4 years. I
63 > have been a volunteer staff member for Freenode (PDPC) for 1 year. I
64 > have had various other volunteer positions over the past ten years.
65 >
66 > Suggested Changes
67 >
68 > * Communication - Review the current channels of communication
69 > between users and users, and users and developers (focusing
70 > in the start phase primarily on the two issues outlined below)
71 > 1. Bugzilla - Create a Bug Writing How-to to provide users with a
72 > guideline for how to write bug reports, to ease the workload
73 > for the developers and also to ensure that the users include
74 > sufficient information with their bug report.
75 > 2. Bugzilla - Write and make available guidelines for how
76 > to respond to a bug report in a useful manner. Ensure that
77 > developers have the opportunity to look up how "it should be
78 > done" should they feel unsure.
79 >
80 > * Complaints - Review and rewrite the current complaints
81 > procedure to ensure that users will find User Relations
82 > approachable and thus will feel able to file
83 > complaints if necessary. Ensure that a problem is always
84 > looked at from both sides, and if the problem cannot be solved
85 > by User Relations have a procedure in place for escalating to
86 > an ombudsman.
87 >
88 > * Stress - Ensure that there is an understanding of how
89 > overwork/stress can affect the way we communicate with others.
90 > Ensure there is a procedure in place for backup should the
91 > need arise for a developer to not deal with users directly for
92 > one reason or another. Ensure developers have the option to
93 > "take time out" when needed. Ensure that users are dealt with
94 > in an effective and friendly manner so not to cause any
95 > unnecessary trauma for users.
96 >
97 > * Recruitment - Work alongside Developer Relations to improve
98 > the recruitment process, focusing on the process for reinstating
99 > a returning developer to start with.
100 >
101 > * User Relations - Review User Relations' role and find
102 > other ways of improving Gentoo User Relations. Ensure that
103 > User Relations are proactive rather than reactive and have a
104 > good strong presence within the user community. Continously
105 > encourage and listen to feedback from users and developers in
106 > order to better understand the needs of users and developers,
107 > and effectively cater to them.
108 >
109 > In order to achieve this I intend to seek out input from users
110 > and developers, possibly in the form of a survey as well as by
111 > interacting with users/developers through the existing channels of
112 > communication (forum, irc, mailing lists, e-mail, bugzilla, planet
113 > gentoo etc). I intend to produce reports detailing my findings and what
114 > changes I feel need to be made along with detailed plans of how
115 > for User Relations can carry out the changes. I will address these
116 > reports to Developer-Relations and make them available for input before
117 > undertaking any work. When working towards deadlines we will always
118 > ensure that the dead lines are realistic, as unrealistic deadlines are
119 > often a source of stress.
120 >
121 > For the above mentioned points I intend to ask for user and developer
122 > input before creating any documents. I also intend to ask for input
123 > during the process of creating these documents to ensure that noone
124 > feels left out and to ensure that the end product is one that is
125 > agreeable for most. I also intend to make available information on how
126 > to deal with stress and heavy work loads and easy non-time consuming
127 > techniques for relaxation.
128 >
129 I agree. Relations between users and Gentoo developers could be *alot*
130 better. There seems an air of unapproachability, even elitism, from the
131 development camp and it was only when I started helping in #gentoo-uk,
132 organising events and became an AT that this became better.
133
134 I'm pretty sure that developers have better things to do than teach new
135 users Gentoo and Linux in general but as Gentoo has become more popular
136 users with lesser knowledge have become prevalent and it seems Gentoo
137 has been slow or found not wanting to acknowledge that.
138
139 Too few developers use the forums, they are usually the first stop for
140 the beginners who have problems. Usually their problem can be fixed by a
141 revdep-rebuild or modules-update but most developers (apart from
142 Uberlord/Genone/Klieber) seem to stay away from it like the plague. That
143 brings be on to a second idea, there are lots of wonderful apps for
144 Gentoo users to use but they seem to be in different parts of the
145 (excellent) documentation. I propose a page of "essential commands";
146 when to use them and how that could just be cut out of the existing
147 doocumentation.
148
149 George
158 --