From: Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] [GLEP] Bugzilla access for contributor
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 15:59:24
1 On 9/2/06, Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o> wrote:
2 > > Current situation
3 > > ================
4 > >
5 > > Currently there are specific deals with arch testers and devrel/infra to allow
6 > > arch testers to edit bugs. This GLEP is written to standardize the process and
7 > > make it available for all aspects of Gentoo where work is being done by people
8 > > who are no full developers.
9 >
10 > This is very vague. What kind of contributors are you talking about? I
11 > assume you mean people contributing on sunrise, or does that also
12 > imply people who contribute to another project should get those
13 > privileges, too? What kind of people do you have in mind?
14 > Does that mean the contributors become official project members like
15 > devs/ATs?
16 >
17 > > Requirements
18 > > ============
19 > >
20 > > Bugzilla permissions
21 > > ------------
22 > >
23 > > It is needed that contributors who work on bugs can edit them on their own and
24 > > do not have to rely on their mentoring or supervising developers to reassign
25 > > or modify bugs.
26 >
27 > Stupid question, but why don't they do the quiz and become developer/staff/AT
28 > if they want to work on bugs?
29
30 they usually do that, but they work on bugs before they are developers.
31
32 > What's the reasoning to make another
33 > class of users who can edit bugs?
34
35 this is not intended. I just want them to be able to edit bugs they
36 are working on.
37
38 > Also is bugzi rights _all_ they are
39 > supposed to get or other stuff, too?
40
41 This is only about bugzilla and not about a special group.
42
43 > Also, what kind of bugzi permissions are we talking about, just
44 > marking bugs as fixed?
45
46 permissions like arch testers: edit all aspects of bugs but do not see
47 developer bugs.
50 > > Security
51 > > -----------------
52 > >
53 > > To ensure that not everyone who asks for it can get access to edit bugs it is
54 > > required to complete the ebuild quiz prior to requesting access
55 >
56 > The ebuild quiz is also used in the AT project, so what exactly would
57 > be the difference between your contributor and and an AT/HT?
58
59 cannot see much difference. But obviously recruiters/devrel have seen
60 much difference when I asked.
61
62 > > Management
63 > > ---------------
64 > >
65 > > This cannot be managed by devrel, because they lack the resources to do it.
66 >
67 > s/devrel/recruiters and have you talked it over with them or is this
68 > only an assumption? I'm not saying they do have the resources, but
69 > that statement sounds rather final for the first version of a GLEP.
72 > Executive summary (+ some more opinion):
73 > The whole glep is very vague, please be a bit more specific.
74
75 that is intentional to allow usage of it in any cases it might be
76 needed and not just in one special case.
77
78 > Also, there really should be a good reason to introduce a new class of
79 > "official Gentoo people with extra permissions" as well as a
80 > difference to the ATs. Currently contributor and AT seem to have both
81 > the same requirements and permissions.
82
83 honestly I do not care much - I just want the result: bugzilla editing
84 permissions for one guy I work with in sunrise
85 If you can show me an easier way to get it done please tell so. I
86 tried to contact devrel before and that communication ended in that I
87 should write a GLEP, so here you have it.
88
89 Regards,
90 Stefan
91 --