From: plasmaroo@gentoo.org (Tim Yamin)
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] RFC: etiquette enforcment
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 20:04:52
> So, here is my proposal. I hope it's not the only one. > > creation of a etiquette enforcement group. This group should be a > subproject of devrel, but should not be made up of devrel members. I > say this because the actions and powers of this group need to be > separated from devrel.
Who will lead the group? Also is the enforcer's powers limited purely to spurs on IRC and mailing lists; i.e. behaviour issues and/or repetitive patterns still go to devrel for discussion; complaints to Bugzilla, etc?
> - - enforcer sets modes +q troll for #foobar
Devs (well, ops in the channel) have always had this capability; nothing new. Also address problem of enforcer himself being an ass on IRC/MLs, what happens then; we don't want a "that guy did it and he's reponsible for good behaviour so I can do it too" happening...
> Sometimes people need a bigger kick in the ass though, which is where a > short term ban helps. When I say a short term ban, I mean 30-90 > minutes. it allows everyone to cool off without them using bad judgment > and popping back in. I do similar enforcement in #-amd64 and it works > very well.
... making sure that said person is informed of the ban, otherwise it might be useless and have no effect.
> 1. any and every action that the enforcer uses to enforce etiquette > needs to be immediately and publicly documented. as a start I recommend > sending a email to gentoo-devrel ML. This includes full logs/archive > pointers.
gentoo-devrel isn't a database for etiquette violations given that it's archived all over the place. You need a more appropriate place.