From: plasmaroo@gentoo.org (Tim Yamin)
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] RFC: etiquette enforcment
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 20:04:52
1 > So, here is my proposal. I hope it's not the only one.
2 >
3 > creation of a etiquette enforcement group. This group should be a
4 > subproject of devrel, but should not be made up of devrel members. I
5 > say this because the actions and powers of this group need to be
6 > separated from devrel.
7
8 Who will lead the group? Also is the enforcer's powers limited purely to
9 spurs on IRC and mailing lists; i.e. behaviour issues and/or repetitive
10 patterns still go to devrel for discussion; complaints to Bugzilla, etc?
11
12 > - - enforcer sets modes +q troll for #foobar
13
14 Devs (well, ops in the channel) have always had this capability; nothing
15 new. Also address problem of enforcer himself being an ass on IRC/MLs,
16 what happens then; we don't want a "that guy did it and he's reponsible
17 for good behaviour so I can do it too" happening...
18
19 > Sometimes people need a bigger kick in the ass though, which is where a
20 > short term ban helps. When I say a short term ban, I mean 30-90
21 > minutes. it allows everyone to cool off without them using bad judgment
22 > and popping back in. I do similar enforcement in #-amd64 and it works
23 > very well.
24
25 ... making sure that said person is informed of the ban, otherwise it
26 might be useless and have no effect.
27
28 > 1. any and every action that the enforcer uses to enforce etiquette
29 > needs to be immediately and publicly documented. as a start I recommend
30 > sending a email to gentoo-devrel ML. This includes full logs/archive
31 > pointers.
32
33 gentoo-devrel isn't a database for etiquette violations given that it's
34 archived all over the place. You need a more appropriate place.
35
36 > 4. if an enforcer has effected a ban on a person/group and the subject
37 > was a time sensitive topic, then the enforcer is obligated to relay
38 > messages verbatim from the person/group for the duration of the ban.
39
40 Topic such as? And if it's verbatim what's the point of the ban?
41 --
42 gentoo-devrel@g.o mailing list