From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] devrel meeting etc
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:31:29
On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 14:16 -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
> Aron Griffis wrote: [Mon Sep 12 2005, 01:37:33PM CDT] > > You make a good point concerning the checks and balances inherently > > available in a voting system. Nonetheless, you'll displease a lot of > > people by doing away with one of the core attributes of the proposal, > > so IMHO it would help to explain how it has hindered you so far. > > One thing that I've noticed about devrel in the past is that a lot of > the interactions between devrel members (especially recruiters) happen > on irc, not on mailing lists or bugs. The result is a situation like > the current one (I suspect), where somebody in devrel proposes something > big with little explanation, because many of the people involved already > know what all of the issues are. The problem, of course, is that then a > lot of people are both taken completely by surprise (because they aren't > an integral part of that specialized community) and have no good way to > find out what's been happening. If this relatively new enforcement > system isn't working, then of course it should be fixed, but the > non-cognoscenti are going to need much more information before any fix > can appear to be a rational solution. >
The new system hasn't been needed yet.
> Personally, I'm still fond of my long-ago suggestion that the judgement > part of the process should be handled by a randomly-selected group of > devs, but I'm perfectly willing to accept that such a proposal is > unrealistic. >
Interesting. Would you think of this as randomly selected from a group of self-designated devs who are willing to serve, or would you make "willingness" implicit in being a dev, so it's sort of like jury duty, or what? I think I personally would want to require that one devrel member sit on the judgment board, but otherwise, why not?
Regards, -- Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o> Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Devrel)