From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] RFC: etiquette enforcment
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 20:45:46
1 Mike Doty wrote: [Thu May 18 2006, 02:41:03PM CDT]
2 > The flamewars on public communication channels is out of hand. it's
3 > having an negative effect in many parts of gentoo, even those that are
4 > not directly affected by the said war. This is something that urgently
5 > needs to be addressed.
6
7 I disagree. I don't see a flamewar, but a spirited discussion. As for
8 it having a negative effect "in many parts of gentoo", perhaps such a
9 blanket statement deserves some evidence? Which areas? How many is
10 many?
11
12 > So, here is my proposal. I hope it's not the only one.
13
14 Fair enough, I'll add mine: do nothing other than urge politeness and do
15 one's utmost to separate vitriol and opinion from fact.
16
17 > creation of a etiquette enforcement group. This group should be a
18 > subproject of devrel, but should not be made up of devrel members. I
19 > say this because the actions and powers of this group need to be
20 > separated from devrel.
21
22 Just as a logical point, exactly what authority does devrel have over
23 non-devs? Seems like the wrong project to me. Perhaps userrel?
24
25 That aside, I think censoring is unwise, and I certainly won't support
26 it. Of course, I have no actual power, but I'll argue vociferously
27 against any such plan. There's a marked difference between automated
28 spamming of a mailing list (which, of course, would result in access
29 being suspended) and somebody being annoying.
30
31 I'm not a wholly unreasonable person, I don't think, and I disagree that
32 things are out of hand. Were your proposal in effect, we would be
33 censoring on cases where reasonable people disagree. I think that's far
34 too low a bar to set.
35
36 Respectfully,
37 g2boojum
38 --
39 Grant Goodyear
40 Gentoo Developer
41 g2boojum@g.o
42 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
43 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76