From: Paul Varner <fuzzyray@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] devrel meeting etc
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 20:33:22
1 On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 12:38 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Why can't a small committee be fair? Where are the checks and balances
3 > in the "new" structure? I see one group investigating, another deciding
4 > the punishment, but no insurance that the latter group won't go
5 > overboard with punishment or give people a slap on the wrist for a major
6 > problem.
7
8 I'm not saying that a small committee can't be fair. I'm saying that
9 having the split between investigating and judical does much to ensure
10 fairness to include the perception of fairness. Having the same people
11 do both functions can quickly give the perception of being unfair.
12
13 I believe that we can still keep things small given the new system.
14 Have 1-2 people investigate and 3 decide the punishment. That keeps it
15 in the 3-5 range, but still keeps it separate.
16
17 The checks and balances are in the fact that the same people doing the
18 investigating are not the ones whom decide the punishment and that there
19 is a right of appeal to the Gentoo Council.
20
21 Regards,
22 Paul
23 --