From: Paul Varner <fuzzyray@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] devrel meeting etc
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 20:33:22
On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 12:38 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> Why can't a small committee be fair? Where are the checks and balances > in the "new" structure? I see one group investigating, another deciding > the punishment, but no insurance that the latter group won't go > overboard with punishment or give people a slap on the wrist for a major > problem.
I'm not saying that a small committee can't be fair. I'm saying that having the split between investigating and judical does much to ensure fairness to include the perception of fairness. Having the same people do both functions can quickly give the perception of being unfair. I believe that we can still keep things small given the new system. Have 1-2 people investigate and 3 decide the punishment. That keeps it in the 3-5 range, but still keeps it separate. The checks and balances are in the fact that the same people doing the investigating are not the ones whom decide the punishment and that there is a right of appeal to the Gentoo Council. Regards, Paul -- gentoo-devrel@g.o mailing list