From: George Prowse <cokehabit2003@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] Proposal of Change to the Gentoo User Relations Project
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 22:51:59
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 18:23:51 +0000 George Prowse
6 > <cokehabit2003@××××××××.uk> wrote:
7 > | Well for at least some other developers it is working ok, that isn't
8 > | to say that it couldn't work better but the forums are a constantly
9 > | changing project.
10 >
11 > You said it yourself. "Too few developers use the forums". To me, this
12 > suggests that one should consider *why* many developers do not use the
13 > forums, rather than assuming that because a few developers do, they
14 > must be fine.
15
16 Maybe if we worked on some of the things we have pointed out more will
17 come. That is not to say none use the forums just not as many as i'd
18 like to see.
19 >
20 > | > | Perhaps if you treated people with a little more respect then they
21 > | > | would have some more for you. If you have a complaint take it up
22 > | > | with devrel, you are in the correct place.
23 > | >
24 > | > Eh, easier to just not use the forums except when someone points
25 > | > something out to me.
26 > |
27 > | It seems that from some users that was the intention.
28 >
29 > Which again points to a possible reason that too few developers use the
30 > forums.
31
32 If they dont go on them how do they know they dont like them? We know
33 that quite a few developers do. We need more to show that devs aren't
34 these "unapproachable" creatures. Why do you need to search through
35 them, just to go "Portage and Programming" and see if you can help...
36 >
37 > | > | > Neither of these answers will, on its own, be enough to help you
38 > | > | > solve the "not enough developers on the forums" issue. Nor will
39 > | > | > it help if you claim that "the forums are fine as they are".
40 > | > | > Why not try finding out from other developers why they think
41 > | > | > the forums are not fine?
42 > | > |
43 > | > | Why bother when we have you to speak for all developers?
44 > | >
45 > | > Do you think that that attitude will help get more developers onto
46 > | > the forums?
47 > | >
48 > | pot..? kettle..? dark colour..?
49 >
50 > Do you think that *that* attitude will help too?
51 >
52 Do you think that your attitude towards the forums, developers,
53 projects, users and unofficial Gentoo projects helps as well? Remember,
54 I am not a developer but I can see, read and hear and from a users POV
55 your tact leaves a lot to be desired. Instead of rubbishing the forums
56 you could have suggested the improvements in your first email in the
57 manner that you eventually did and we wouldn't have any of this now,
58 instead you seem intent on turning it into another "webapp-config"
67 --
68 gentoo-devrel@g.o mailing list