From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc-fi@l.g.o
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:15:31
1 Flammie Pirinen wrote:
2 > Actually it's my crappy distro which is at fault. They've added some weird ssp magic to the packages which breaks everything ;-)
3
4 Using Gencrap 2004.2 as well ;-)
5 (I really shoud not write that, it's archived!)
6
7 > I'm very sceptic that there will ever be enough talk about translation as to constitute a mailing list, which would require extraneous leaps for everyone wishing to participate anyways. IRC and forums and private mail are more than sufficient for contextless talk on various generic and specific aspects of translations.
8
9 Usefulness is not defined by volume.
10 What's the fuss about subscribing to a mailing list?
11 IRC is not archived and requires all parties to be connected at the same time.
12 forums.g.o is for users.
13 private mail is not public.
14
15 > Well, it is possible to use this list as -announce, it won't really be more useful than keeping web pages up to date tho'.
16
17 French translators do talk to each other via their mailing list. There is
18 nothing that could replace the ML.
19 Have a loot at
20 http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.documentation.french/cutoff=309
21 Traffic is low but it is very useful.
22
23 >>You haven't missed it. It should be properly documented indeed. I'll see to
24 >>it. Thanks for making me notice.
25 >
26 > It'd also help if originals had, albeit unnecessarily, lang="en" in them (or even better, mark lang #REQUIRED in dtd, as it clearly is such).
27
28 That's a clear No.
29 English is the default and that's why it does not have to be in all docs and
30 why it is #IMPLIED. We have almost 1,000 .xml English files. Try to tell
31 everyone that they have to add lang="en" because English is not the default
32 language anymore...
33
34 > Humm, seems fair enough. I'll just reformulate the process to correspond this, but I still retain wider QA as required, one person checking docs is never enough, even if the person is me ;-)
35
36 You're the Lead Translator (btw, any news from devrel to have your name on the
37 devs listings?) and you're responsible for QA. It does not mean you have to do
38 it all yourself ;-)
41 Cheers,
42 --
43 / Xavier Neys