From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o, gentoo-doc@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Review of Documentation Policy
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 21:46:48
On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
> Hi guys, > > Sorry to barge in like this here, but why not start a nice discussion on > things... Keeps the minds fresh and the activity high (heh, almost sounds > like a bad exercise DVD). > > The GDP currently uses the Documentation Policy [1] as its main policy on > documentation development, recruitment, team organization and what not. It > was written a few years ago and has seen some small changes since. However, > like any policy, it should best be reviewed from time to time. > > So, what is your take on the policy? Which things need to be changed? What > would you like to see added? > > Wkr, >        Sven Vermeulen > > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gdp/doc/doc-policy.xml
The recruiting information seems strange and unnecessarily structured. It all seems to be written for people who are not developers. The Contributions phase mentions a lot of undefined titles, "Operational Manager", "Full-time Developer", "Part-time Developer". There's a table that shows the number of contributions/time for a developer, but what do these roles actually mean? Who/what is an "Operational Manager"?
> ... to inform the contributor about the time-consuming position and pressure the application involves.
Come on. What is this? I don't think I remember getting paid as a Gentoo developer. This nonsense about time commitments and pressure is pretentious. It seems to me that the steps for joining the Docs team for a current developer should be much more clearly stated. Thanks, Matt