From: "Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike)" <klondike@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Review of Documentation Policy
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 22:00:55
1 El 26/08/11 04:45, Matt Turner escribió:
2 > On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 1:41 AM, Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 09:43:51 -0400
4 >> Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 4:52 AM, Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
7 >>> wrote:
8 >>>> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 08:16:59PM -0400, Matt Turner wrote:
9 >>>>> The information on this page is very irrelevant and confusing to
10 >>>>> me, as a developer.
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>> I don't know how many non-developer documenters we have. I don't
13 >>>>> know what needs to happen to that text itself, but a section
14 >>>>> about how current developers join the documentation team is
15 >>>>> important. Looking at the page, a person must complete the staff
16 >>>>> and doc quizzes. For a developer, it seems that the requirements
17 >>>>> should simply be 1) to have become a developer and 2) completed
18 >>>>> the doc quiz.
19 >>>> Documentation developers are also developers, but they do not
20 >>>> need to be an ebuild-developer. If I look at the GDP current
21 >>>> staffing, there are 8 developers that are also ebuild developers
22 >>>> (or infrastructure or another function within Gentoo) and 11
23 >>>> developers on the documentation (and translations) only.
24 >>>>
25 >>>> Requiring documentation developers to also take the ebuild and
26 >>>> end quiz would be overshooting, as that is not something they
27 >>>> require.
28 >>>>
29 >>>> Wkr,
30 >>>> Sven Vermeulen
31 >>> Right, I'm saying for people who are already developers, they should
32 >>> really only have to complete the doc quiz.
33 >>>
34 >>> Matt
35 >>>
36 >> You want to contribute ebuilds, you have to go through a process that
37 >> teaches you what you need to know, and shows your mentor that know
38 >> what you're doing; that you're not going to screw up everyone's
39 >> boxes.
40 >>
41 >> You want to write documentation, you have to go through a process
42 >> that teaches you what you need to know, and shows your mentor that
43 >> you know what you're doing; that you're not going to screw up
44 >> everyone's boxes ... *or the Gentoo websites*. (via bad commits that
45 >> break layouts, links, XML, CSS, etc.)
46 >>
47 >> Everyone has to go through a process when wanting to join a team.
48 >> What's so hard about this? Why should ebuild developers get a free
49 >> pass to get write access? Over the years, I've talked with several
50 >> different ebuild team leads, as I was interested in what it took to
51 >> get access to gentoo-x86. There's no free pass for longtime doc
52 >> writers, either, even those that have run their own private overlay
53 >> for a long time. I don't just take the ebuild quiz and get commit
54 >> access. There's a process that I have to go through, too.
55 Yeah but if it is a big nuissance people won't go through it.
56 >> Maybe I'm just reading this wrong, but it sounds like you want to set
57 >> things up so that anyone who wants to change a doc can overwrite it
58 >> directly. That's fine for stuff in /proj/ -- the GDP doesn't care
59 >> about that; documents in /proj/ are solely the responsibility of those
60 >> projects. And that's why, overall, the quality of stuff in /proj/ is
61 >> not as good as what's in /doc/.
62 Maybe that's why proj tends to be more up to date than doc or why we
63 still have the openrc tracker bug open whith many bugs just requiring
64 minor changes to be fixed.
65 > I appear to have touched a nerve.
66 >
67 > Let me revise my previous email. I think an existing (ebuild)
68 > developer should do the following things to join the doc team:
69 > - doc quiz;
70 > - CSS knowledge is a plus;
71 > - have some documentation patches to prove he's not a doofus.
72 >
73 > I don't intend to belittle the doc team, but while your point about
74 > having to go through mentoring for an ebuild developer and therefore
75 > why not also a doc developer is well taken, I have a hard time
76 > believing that there's nearly as much knowledge to take in to become a
77 > documentation developer. Learning GuideXML can be done in a day or
78 > two. Being a good writer is something not easily learned.
79 Gonna rephrase that if you don't mind:
80 I don't intend to belittle the ebuild writers, but while your point about
81 having to go through mentoring for an ebuild developer and therefore
82 why not also a doc developer is well taken, I have a hard time
83 believing that there's nearly as much knowledge to take in to become an
84 ebuild developer. Learning to write ebuilds can be done in a day or
85 two. Being a good writer is something not easily learned.
86
87 That said I have already written ebuilds which work but... Oh! I'm not a full developer because I have yet to pass the quizzes (which I hope I'll eventually do).
88
89 > But whatever. I'll just post patches in bug reports. It's not worth
90 > the time to go through a second recruitment process to that I can
91 > modify a couple pieces of documentation about the architecture teams
92 > I'm a member of. Maybe these documents should be under /proj anyway;
93 > they certainly weren't looking very healthy under /doc.
94 That's what I usually do and then have fun seeing them ignored by the
95 package responsibles... For example I'm still waiting for news of the
96 dev-p2p team on an updated linuxdcpp ebuild with some patches I sent in
97 July.
98
99 So where I'm trying to get?
100
101 Well turns out both sides have bad practices but whilst one is
102 overpopulated the other one isn't. My opinion is that the best policy
103 would be a segmentated policy (as for example happens with staffer and
104 full developers), and have two types of document writters ones which
105 only do a small test and only correct small thingies, and the ones that
106 do the long test to be able to do major changes and write docs from
107 scratch. Both should be surveilled for some time (basically until the
108 newbie does things properly) by somebody with experience who should tell
109 them what to fix (because yes, at times there is nothing better to avoid
110 mistakes than being shown them).
111
112 What we'd get from that in the middle term will be a doc team with a
113 large base of small fixers which keep documents up to date and some big
114 guys that will produce new quality documentation.
115
116 Those are just my 2 cents.