From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage1/2 deprecation from Gentoo Handbook
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 16:21:08
On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 21:32 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> On Monday 07 November 2005 19:22, Paul Waring wrote: > > When one of the key complaints about Linux is that the documentation is > > often lacking, I'm surprised to see a distro with some of the best > > manuals considering doing away (or at least hiding somewhere else) with > > parts of it. > > It's not about the documentation. It's mostly about portage actually. Certain > sets of USE flags create circular dependencies that portage doesn't deal with > well or at all. Packages then fail to build and bugs get posted. What did the > user do wrong? Nothing. What can the user do? Figure out where the circular > dependency is and manually solve it. Should the steps on how to do that be > added to the Stage1/2 install guide? I'd think not.
Correct. Not only are circular dependencies an issue, but dependencies that break the flow of the Handbook are quite common. A prime example is hal. There are combinations of USE flags that will pull in hal as a dependency when doing "emerge -e system" to go from stage2 to stage3. The problem is that the Handbook does not have the user install a kernel *prior* to stage3. The user does not have a configured kernel, nor even sources installed. The sources for the default kernel virtual are installed, whether the user wants these sources or not, and hal looks for a kernel configuration, then fails when it cannot find one. How exactly would you document this? -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Strategic Lead x86 Architecture Team Games - Developer Gentoo Linux