From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage1/2 deprecation from Gentoo Handbook
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 14:37:11
On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 22:41 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 19:27:26 +0100 > Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote: > > > I'd like to have the stages/ directory only contain stage3 files and > > have the stage1/2's in experimental or similar. > > If most of us are to be advised to use only stage 3 for installation, > that will remove one of the main advantages of Gentoo, namely having > everything compiled on the machine it's running on. What advice will be > offered on remerging first the toolkit, then the system packages and > then the world files? Is maguire's emwrap script to be promoted? > (http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-282474-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-200.html)
It removes 0 advantages. Why are you spreading such blatant misinformation? Exactly what is gained by compiling the toolchain twice on your system? What do you gain that can not be accomplished by using a stage3 tarball, editing make.conf, and running an emerge -e system? The main point is pretty simple. There is 0 reason to compile the toolchain twice. You gain 0 performance. You gain 0 customization options. You lose quite a bit of time and introduce countless possibilities for errors that are completely user-created that get pushed onto the Release Engineering team to "support". Think about this. nano -w /etc/make.conf scripts/bootstrap.sh emerge -e system Now, think about this. tar xjpf /mnt/cdrom/stage3-x86-2005.1.tar.bz2 nano -w /etc/make.conf emerge -e system Both produce the same output when you are done. Both give you a customized system with *your* choices of USE and CFLAGS. However, only the stage3 method *ensures* that you have a complete and usable system to perform your installation. The only thing that you have done by adding in the bootstrap step is you have compiled the toolchain twice, with 0 net gain. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Strategic Lead x86 Architecture Team Games - Developer Gentoo Linux