From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] [patch] integrate ia64 bootloader into common
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 16:13:53
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > this patch integrates the ia64 bootloader document into the common one
3
4 Sorry, but it does not integrate.
5 What did you want to do with "Optional: Framebuffer"?
6 Keep it? Adapt it? It contains minute differences between x86 & amd64.
7
8 What about "Alternative: Using ELILO"?
9 ELILO is no alternative, it's the only bootloader. Or isn't it?
10
11 > perhaps it would make sense to re-architect the bootloader document like:
12 > hb-install-bootloader.xml
13 > hb-install-bootloader-grub.xml
14 > hb-install-bootloader-elilo.xml
15 > hb-install-bootloader-lilo.xml
16 > ...
17 > otherwise trying to integrate other bootloader documents isnt going to be
18 > fun ...
19
20 We have no such plan. We are definitely not going to merge palo/aboot/silo...
21
22 FYI, when we split up parts into ARCH-specific files, we had to choose between
23 splitting or inserting notes like "${ARCH} users should blah blah..." in
24 common files. We want to get rid of the latter. Besides, ARCH-specific files
25 that are very similar like x86 and amd64 were, it's worth using a single file.
26 ARCH-specific files that share only a bit of content are not worth merging.
27
28 If the framebuffer bit is needed on ia64, we might merge using your patch with
29 s/Alternative: Using ELILO/Default: Using ELILO/
30
31 If ELILO needs to be supported on x86/amd64, then we'd probably want to merge
32 x86/amd64/ia64 into a single bootloader.xml
33
34 At the moment, of the 4 ia64-specific files, the bootloader one is the most
35 different and the least likely to be worth merging with x86/amd64.
38 Cheers,
39 --
40 / Xavier Neys
41 \_ Gentoo Documentation Project