From: Andrew Stephenson <tendonut@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] X Server Configuration Guide Suggestion
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 21:12:36
1 I took on the task of installing Gentoo for the first time on my desktop and
2 there were a few speed bumps I had to overcome before getting everything
3 running correctly.
4
5 Xorg 1.5 seems to be pretty much standard now and it doesn't seem to be very
6 clear in the X Server Configuration page...the most notable change being the
7 use of evdev. I think there should be some reference to the 1.5 upgrade
8 guide within the original X config guide. Also, there isn't any specific
9 instruction to starting dbus or hald in either guide, despite it being a
10 requirement to get the evdev stuff to work. (Note that the step IS
11 documented in the Gnome installation guide which seems somewhat misplaced
12 considering one wouldn't move to the gnome installation phase until after X
13 is working properly) I spent a good 3 hours Saturday night trying to figure
14 out why X wouldn't respond to my mouse or keyboard just to find out I never
15 started hald. I was able to figure it out after a bit of common sense time,
16 but if that step was listed somewhere before the "startx" step, it would
17 have relieved my headache much earlier. This may be considered a noob
18 mistake, but the Handbook seems to be geared towards the noob anyways and
19 states what could be considered obvious steps to more linux-savvy users.