From: Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] idea for more docs: document new portage features
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 19:12:04
1 On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 5:52 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
2 <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3 > I just noticed
4 > <http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-896728-highlight-.html> and
5 > thought it would be cool to document some of the new portage features.
6 > Now that we have Sven on board, it should be possible!
7 >
8 > I think you could ask Zac Medico about some summary of the features
9 > maybe, and then just put some overview in the handbook.
10
11 The output that portage gives when it is requiring specific USE
12 settings, license settings, ... is imo best mentioned in the "When
13 Portage is Complaining" [1] part of the Gentoo Handbook. This gives an
14 overview of all error (or warnings) that Portage gives while
15 attempting to install packages and is one place that users ought to
16 look for guidance.
17
18 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=2&chap=1#doc_chap5
19
20 I'll see which messages need to be elaborated or mentioned and update
21 the handbook accordingly.
22
23 Wkr,
24 Sven Vermeulen