From: Ivan Ferdous <kferdous@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] ARM manuals
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 21:09:37
1 unsubscribe
2
3 On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:34 AM, wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
4
5 > On 03/01/12 01:44, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
6 >
7 >> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 8:35 PM, wireless<wireless@××××××××.rr.**com<wireless@×××××××××××.com>>
8 >> wrote:
9 >>
10 >>> A while back there was talk of Gentoo and Ubuntu exploring
11 >>> some deeper form of cooperation; a merger of sorts. Surely
12 >>> an interesting idea.
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >> I wasn't aware of that. Do you have some info on this?
18 > The apr 1 info, may be the key parameter. I remember reading snippets
19 > in several locations.... but nothing to recall now. I did not
20 > really focus on the issue at the time, so it is completely
21 > possible it was but a lark, I did not discern.....
22 >
23 > Still, an interesting idea, some would think. I have taken
24 > the path of setting up raid under Ubuntu, as suggested to me
25 > by a few old gentoers. While visiting the Ubuntu offerings,
26 > it surprises me to see so many (gentoo) familiar folks bouncing
27 > around and using Ubuntu, for a wide variety of purposes.
28 > Quite a lively and social bunch over there at Ubuntu, many
29 > old friends.....
32 > Curiously, Ubuntu seems to be able to
33 >>> publish documents, very easily.
34 >>>
35 >>
36 >> Publication isn't an issue. We also have http://wiki.gentoo.org where
37 >> you can quickly set up and publish documents.
38 >>
39 > ]
40 > Yes you are correct. Also, I did find the Ubuntu installation media
41 > (alternate.iso) for explicitly setting up RAID, as part of the
42 > native Ubuntu installation docs and media.
43 >
44 > Furthermore, Ubuntu on arm boards; documents intended for the rank and
45 > file users; very cool indeed.
46 >
47 > I'm still looking for equivalents in Gentoo; maybe after grub-2
48 > is stable on gentoo, we can get a singular document and matching
49 > installation media for installing RAID from scratch.....
50 >
51 > Also note,native ARM support for netbooks, laptop and lite-workstations
52 > is coming to many linux distros. I just hope Gentoo leads
53 > rather than follows in that regard. Surely the talent
54 > is in the dev_pool to make it work, it's the documentation
55 > that is the real challenge, imho.
56 >
57 > sincerely,
58 > James